I received this letter from one of our vendors, Barrie Redl of Redl Home Grown Beef, who’s family was evacuated because of the BC forest fires. I want to share it with you because it paints an informative picture of what ranchers and residents are dealing with at this time in BC’s affected areas.
Just a follow-up— We are back home– over 3 weeks on vacation(hahaha), still watching the sky for new flare-ups due to wind and temperature. Part of the ranch is still in EVAC order, however, we came home.(Marge, Travis, Connie, Willa, Kenzie, baby Reyker and myself).
Travis has been working with a Vet, evacuating horses in need. I have been driving a fire truck(water tender) supplying ground crews fighting the fire. It has slowed slightly– however today we are moving 2 liner loads of cattle from the fire area to another pasture– for a neighbouring ranch. Saturday, Travis will also move a load from out in the Chilcotin to a pasture in Horsefly.
Hope you are not too annoyed that we decided to share our smoke with you?? Several fires are still burning around us, however, the danger seems less, hope it stays this way. Sounds like a total resolution to the fires may not be fully achieved till substantial rain falls or we receive a good amount of snow.
Please note that I will not be travelling down this weekend, as HWY 97 is closed from 100 Mile House, as there is an EVAC order for 70 Mile, 83 Mile, and the town of Clinton. I have decided not to travel, as conditions change often with the fires, therefore I will not be attending the Burnaby market.
I am so looking forward to being able to attend and visit with fellow vendors and customers. Please, if possible post a note indicating that I will be attending once the current risk has been lowered for travel.