About Artisan Farmers Markets:
AFMS is a non-profit organization with its roots in the community. We are dedicated to promote local food and help farmers, artisans and local small businesses grow.
AFMS has over 10 years history of connecting farmers and local craftsmen and artisans with urban consumers, educating the public about how and where their food is produced and raising awareness about sustainable alternatives to the industrial food system.
AFMS is recruiting a high energy, friendly and team building market manager for our Lonsdale market in North Vancouver. The market manager will work with and report to the general manager.
The market manager will work on weekend market days and be allotted several remote hours for admin work weekly. They will manage a small team of 3 to 5 people during markets and will be responsible for organizing the markets layout. The market manager is responsible for making sure everyone knows their role and responsibilities when the market is operating and enforcing all rules outlined in the vendor handbook within reason. The market manager is also responsible for managing their markets social media accounts and promoting their markets in their communities.
The ideal candidate will be interested in the local food economy, working with small businesses and building their experience working in a management role. They are passionate about working with people and helping bring local goods to their community.
- Facilitates the set up of the Market including: determining tent layout, assembling tents, tables, banners, and other Market day materials.
- Manages vendors: directing vendors to their locations, collect fees, and handle vendor queries
- Helps Assistant Market Manager to oversee staff and volunteers, community group participants, and entertainers
- Provides Market information to shoppers and vendors; and positively handles concerns and queries
- Positively represents the Farmers Market Society to the community.
- Enforces all vendor guidelines outlined in the vendor handbook
- Vendor Management: manage vendor relationships, create and maintain vendor schedule, create monthly newsletter, answer queries, recruit new vendors
- Marketing and communications: create and implement plan to promote farmers market
- Creates general, event and promotional materials
- Maintains social media promotions and vendor profiles
- Responds to general inquiries, through phone, email, and social media
- Enjoy working in a fast paced environment, has a passion for local food, and enjoys being outside in all weather conditions
- Excellent management abilities and enjoys talking and engaging with others
- Marketing skills with some experience in social media
- Can handle conflict situations with sensitivity
- Can manage others and delegate tasks appropriately
- Has excellent written and oral communication skills
- Interested in community economic development and working with small businesses
- Self directed, reliable, responsible, and works collaboratively as part of a team
- Is comfortable with technology: computers, texting, email, management software, social media etc.
- Can lift up to 20 kg of equipment and can set up a tent.
- Has a valid BC drivers license, and access to a reliable vehicle to bring market day items to market, and to use when posting signage with the surrounding community
- Graphic design and knowledge of design software an asset
- This is a part-time position
- 15-20 hours weekly for duration of the market season
- Please send a cover letter and résumé to AFMS Hiring Committee at email@example.com The cover letter ideally will be a statement about how your experience can help AFMS achieve their goals.
- Deadline for application is 09.04.2021
- Email submissions only; no mailed applications or phone calls please.